Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Second Burger-Good Stuff Eatery

Good Stuff Eatery, 303 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE 202-543-8222.

I'll lead off with "Today the burgers were good"

Good Stuff eatery is the hip and happening place to get your 'fast' burger on the hill. I like it because its pretty much down the street from me and you can get burgers and milkshakes to go, which is unusual on the ol' hill. Its hip and happening because of Chef Spike from Top Chef fame. Here's their website http://www.goodstuffeatery.com/ and they'll tell you everything about themselves.

First off. Its loud as hell in there. They play classic rock on the speakers and the speaker is right in front of the cashier. This makes it hard for them to get your order right.

Second off. Its usually crowded and you may have to wait in a very long line. Though they have gotten better at this. Sometimes you get a pre-made and waiting burger so watch for that.

So to the review of our experience on April 18, 2009. The first truly gorgeous day in Washington DC we decided to get our burgers to go and eat in the park. We went at a weird hour of 3:30. (I suggest at going on weird hours because this place gets filled up fast).

der burger: I got their Farmhouse Cheese with dairy fresh American Cheese $5.89. Moxie got the regular Farmhouse burger made with natural farm raised beef $5.49. We split what was supposed to be their awesome Village Fries ($2.79) that are coated in fresh thyme, rosemary and cracked pepper, but instead just got the regular fries by some mix up. Which was ok...

My cheeseburger was cooked about medium well and the cheese was nicely melted on top. The burgers are well proportioned so its not too big or too small. It had a nice grilled taste to it if a bit greasy. I'll give it a It'll do, pig, rating of 6.5/7/

Moxie's burger was cooked well, and seasoned well if slightly greasy. She makes a point that this was the best burger she's had from them so far. She's been 3 other times and I had to convince her to try it one more time for our BurgerWatch. She gives it a 6 for this time.

Personally, I think the burgers I've gotten there have always been about a 6, except one time when it was pre-made and waiting under a heat lamp which I would give a yucky #2 to. But I do like having a take out burger place right down the street from me. They do have seating out side and in. The seating upstairs has lots of tvs and more blaring music.

But what really keeps me coming back are the fries and shakes. If you get the Village Fries and when they are done right they are heavenly. They also have a variety of dipping sauces for them. My favorite is the Mango Mayo one. But even their plain fries are tasty.

(with that said, I would much prefer to have a five guys open on the hill, their burgers are always a 9 to ten, and made to order)

Oh, and sometimes you will actually see Spike working the line, and if thats the case you will have to wait longer in line 'cause those yuppies have a celeb tracker installed in their brains...

No comments:

Post a Comment